ARE THEY COMING OR GOING?

As I start to write this, I am disturbed by some small birds outside fighting over a food ball, we hang outside for them to eat during the winter months. 

They are fighting to survive if they don't eat, they die,  it is as simple as that, I would love to compare this with society but that was in Neanderthal times today all the aggression, the stress, the fights are about who has the coolest car or biggest TV or most money. We are always rushing here, hurrying there, flying around and are either too busy or too ignorant to notice the beautiful things happening around us.



This came to me as I walked our pee monster around the asparagus fields near where we live, earlier this morning. I stopped next to the fence that divides the fields from the motorway, the A7 or the 'route de Soleil' as it is known, it carries people south from Lyon to Marseille or the other way north. It also leads to other motorways that will take you to such exotic places as Spain or Italy or further afield. It is a very busy motorway, 3 lanes of constantly moving traffic. Even at night, you can hear the long-distance lorries haul their loads to a far-off destination. 




In the summertime it is filled with tourists coming to feel the warmth of the sun in this beautiful part of the world, because summers are warm here, very warm, something my Scottish blood has had to acclimatise to and now I love it and have even been known to have a wee moan in the winter, because "It's chilly", something that makes Mrs Freak laugh out loud.
But as I stare at the motorway, I can hardly see the faces of the driver and the passengers, because of their excess speed, but I guess some are happy some are sad, but I know lots of people are stressed because that is the norm in society today, if you are not working hard, breaking your balls over something, you are lazy sod. But why? Where are they rushing too?
When passing this part of the world, the beauty and the scenery all around you is breathtaking, but why in this day and age do people not have the time to live for the moment, to enjoy this beautiful world, to just stop for a second and look around you, breath in the air, be happy that you are alive. No society today is controlled by 'money'. We have to earn more and more, we need the newest gadgets. I saw an advertisement for the new mobile phone, I can't remember if it was an iPhone or a Samsung, but the thing cost more than €1100.......let that sink in, €1100, holy crap....for what? 
Because it recognises you by your pube hair 
or something stupid like that.
Since I moved here I am honestly beginning to realise how much I do not need the newest things. Yes, I do need technology like the internet for putting my work out there and for keeping in touch with family, but it is getting less and less. The social sites I used to be obsessed with, things like Facebook are starting to lose their appeal to me. It used to be very important for spreading my work, but nowadays no-one gives a flying 'fuck' that you spend hours, days, months working on your projects, it has no meaning to even people very close to me. Mrs Freak warned me a few years back to stop selling my soul on Facebook, just to get a euro from family and friends, man, she was right, people nowadays want everything for free. 

But as usual I diverse and that has nothing to do with what this blog is about. 

Let's get back to the motorway and the stressed people... remember...okayI have always had an interest in people. When I lived in Alkmaar and I had some free time, I would go up to the station and get some coffee and just sit and watch the world and the people pass me by. Wondering what they were thinking about, the work, the football, the mortgage or whatever and yes, of course, check out the babes as well, but mostly watching how people were rushing around, not even taking the time to apologise if they bumped into someone else, because they were worried about tomorrow and were not living in the moment. In the NOW
And now I stare at the cars on the motorway, in the same way. There are a lot of accidents in this part of the motorway because people are rushing, not living in the moment, thinking ahead and not looking where they are driving.


I am sure some people have a genuine excuse for rushing someplace. I myself hate being late for an appointment or a gig, but if people are rushing because it concerns money then I feel it is wrong or if it concerns work because your boss will push you to work harder, but don't forget, he gets the profits and all you get is a burnout, 
My friends, I am not provoking anarchy, enticing everyone to stop working or down tools and become hippies. Hell no, society would crumble then, but that you should just enjoy this moment. Stop reading, look around you and embrace your life, look outside, even if the weather is crap, it still has it's charms.

Yesterday, Mrs Freak and I spoke about people we knew that had committed suicide, I know it is morbid and totally different feeling to the blog, 
My point is. Your life is a but a short time or this earth, so enjoy it. If you hate something in your life, change it, if you have always had a dream, go for it. It might not be easy and you might fail, but when you are old and grey and sitting in the old persons home, you can at least look back and smile that you tried to do it.

I have many many stories of my younger years, yes some things I did were stupid, but I honestly have no regrets and I guarantee you my memoirs are gonna be brilliant.

But that is then, the future, this is now, stop and ask yourself...

Are you coming or going? Or are you living for the moment?


Stop worrying about tomorrow, enjoy today. 
I will end with a quote from an old Irish friend, 
who was also a philosopher.
"There is only one day of the week and that is today. Yesterday has passed and tomorrow has yet to appear, so embrace the moment."

That is probably the best advice you can get in this hectic world


CONCLUSION
This blog is just my opinion of things, but if you disagree with anything I say or you have any other comments to make. Please feel free to add them here below. I welcome your views

Or you can email me at info@zeek.org.uk



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT TO DO,MY DEAR RUPERT.....

TURNING THE PAGE........

Brexit